M.ed stands for Master of Education. It is a Postgraduate Academic Master Degree Course. It is normally 2 years program with 2 semesters, however some institutes offer 1 year Regular M.Ed. Course like Shivaji College. The minimum period of passing the course is 2 years and the maximum is 4 Years. This period duration may vary from institute to institute. Master of Education Course can be pursued either as Regular Basis or Through Correspondence/Distance Education Mode. The Correspondence course is of 1 year duration. Master Degree in Education is available in various subjects. Master’s in Education program involves instruction, counselling, and administration. It is especially meant for educators preferring to advance their skills in the field. Master’s Degree in Education is provided all over India in various Universities. Master of Education Course is offered at most of the District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) centers across India. M.Ed. is mainly offered by institutions that are recognized by National Council of Teacher Education, New Delhi. It is a government body in charge of improving and implementing teacher education programmes in the country. It is essential to pursue the M.Ed Courses if one is interested in pursuing a teaching career. In every state in the India there are several institutions that offer Master of Education Courses. Master of Education Degree essentially provides educational research, social and psychological foundations of the discipline.
Master of Education Eligibility
- Those who have acquired their Bachelor of Education degree can pursue Masters Degree in Education. Percentage of marks varies from institute to instate though 50-55% in B.ed./B.EI.Ed./ M.Ed. is the most common percentage.
- The admission to the course is based on merit, the admission procedure and mode of selection may vary from one university to another.
- Some universities or state conduct their own entrance examination, to select deserving candidates.
Master of Education Subjects
Master of Education are based one’s choice of stream in B.Ed. Depending on that one can specialize in that Subject.
Master of Education Specializations
- Educational Technology
- Educational Management
- Women Studies
- Language Education
- Teacher Education
- Guidance and counselling
- Special Education
- Environment Education
- Yoga Education
- Rural Education
Master of Education Syllabus
Syllabus of M.Ed. as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
|S.No||Subjects of Study|
|1.||Philosophical Perspectives of Education|
|2.||Psychological Perspectives of Education|
|3.||Introductory Methods in Educational Research|
|4.||Historical and Political Perspectives of Education|
|5.||Educational Measurement and Evaluation|
|6.||Advanced Educational Technology|
|7.||Any one –
i. Curriculum Development
ii. Pedagogy and Assessment
iii. Human Rights and Value Education
|8.||School Observation & Field Based Activities|
|9.||Self-Development and Communication Skills|
|10.||Preparation of Synopsis|
|1.||Socio-Economic Perspectives of Education|
|2.||Advanced Psychological Perspectives of Education|
|3.||Advanced Methods in Educational Research|
|4.||Advanced Educational Measurement and Evaluation|
|5.||ICT and E Learning|
|6.||Teacher Education in Indian and Global Perspectives|
|7.||Any one –
i. Gender and Inclusive Education
ii. Educational Management and Administration
iii. Guidance and Counselling
|8.||I. Internship in Teacher Educational Institutions
II. Field Based Administration of Tools
III. Seminar and Workshop
|9.||Dissertation and Viva voice|
Eligibility – Bachelor of Education
Type – Degree
Duration – 2 Years
Master of Education Colleges
- Punjab University – PU, Chandigarh
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- Achievers Institute of Delhi, Delhi
- Acme Collins School, Delhi
- Indira Gandhi National Open University – IGNOU, Delhi
How is Master of Education Course Beneficial?
- M.Ed. Course provides knowledge of education systems and patterns more profoundly and comparatively. It enables the candidates to develop an understanding of the contributions of various Indian schools of philosophy to the field of education.
- Master of Education course helps gain more experience and technical finesse required to be an advanced teacher or educator. Therefore, one can easily get best jobs in a high school immediately after completing M.Ed. Course.
- M.Ed. also gives one a good credit in the society and the ability to be addressed as ‘Teacher’ or ‘Sir’ from students.
- While studying this course, you can specialize in subjects like Educational Technology, Educational Management, Women Studies, Language Education, Teacher Education, Guidance and Counselling, Special Education, Environment Education, Yoga Education or Rural Education.
Master of Education Employment Areas
- Coaching Centers
- Education Consultancies
- Education Department
- Home Tuition
- Private Tuition
- Publishing Houses
- Research and Development Agencies
- Schools and Colleges
Master of Education Job Types
- School Teacher
- Home Tutor
- Education Consultant
- Online Tutor
- Vice Principal
- Education Counselor
After completing M.Ed. you can become